December 6, 2010

What I Learned This Quarter- Number 2



Hi, I'm back (did you miss me?)
Anyway, I've been discussing my top 3 most important lessons in Multimedia this quarter.  Number 3 was to Tag your work and we are now on Number 2. (drumroll)
Number 2: The Best Blog site: Wordpress
I know a lot of you out there are very surprised to hear this from me.  But after having used four blogs this quarter (Blogger, Wordpress, Tumblr and Pixelpipe), I have chosen to use mainly my Wordpress account.  I have broken down my thoughts below:
Blogger was by far the simplist and most user-friendly site.  However, that is also it's downside.  It doesn't allow me to categorize.  Also, when inserting a picture or video, there is an extra step to add a link to it.
Wordpress, although a pain to set up, it is more professional and gives you more options for your posts.  You can set a category, schedule a publish date/time, and add links and captions to your inserted pictures in one place.  It also allows you to view more stats (subscriptions, page views, referring sites, etc) without having to sign up on a 3rd party website like Feedburner.
Nothing is better for showcasing photos than Tumblr.  However, if you are longwinded like me, or need to add a lot of text,  Tumblr is not the place for you.  Plus I am a little uncomfortable with it's randomness (even though I was told that is the point of it all).  If I enter a name in the search field, I prefer to be given a list of sites that match my search so that I can pick the one I'm looking for, not just land on one of them randomly.
Three cheers for Pixelpipe!  Finally a way to post to all of your sites in one place.  One problem: not a lot of options.  (Disclaimer: Pixelpipe was that last one I've learned so I haven't discovered a lot of ways to do things there)  There is no way to enter links, categorize, schedule, or even format the posts.  Plus there is no real homepage for your blog site.
Therefore Wordpress is the winner.  I will probably keep the others for a while.  But if you're looking for the most up to date info from me, check Wordpress first.

No comments:

Post a Comment