December 6, 2010

What I Learned This Quarter- Number One

In  case you didn't know, we've been counting down the top three things I learned this quarter in Multimedia II.   To recap, Number 3 was tagging your posts and pictures, number 2 was that Wordpress was the best blog site, and now we're down to Number One:

And the Number One thing I learned this quarter was that SOCIAL MEDIA RULES THE WORLD


(In my 5th Dimension voice) This is the dawning of the age of social networking, the age of web friends, the age of bloggiiiiiiiiing!  When I got my Marketing degree in 1999, the internet was just taking off.  I thought I knew all about how to market yourself/business and that the new World Wide Web was an additional tool.  Now I'm thinking in only 11 tiny years, things have changed.  A lot.   

Anybody who is somebody and even anybody who is nobody is involved in social media in some form.  Whether it's Facebook or Twitter for seeing what your friends are up to, Linkedin to get your resume seen, blogging cause you want a sounding board,  meet ups to make friends, RSS to keep up to date on the news, etc,  EVERYBODY is there.  And more importantly people you need stuff from (and who are in a position to give it to you) are there.   What still and always will holds true in Marketing is that you need to be where your market is.  

I have learned that blogging, although it seems like endless ramblings from people that just want to talk, is more a great source of information and learning about culture.  People are actually funny.  Some are a little off and some are genuinely in need of help.  But somewhere mixed in all of it, relationships are forming.  

So don't be afraid of following people or commenting on blogs.   It is the new way to make valuable contacts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment