October 10, 2010

Ode to the Photojournalist

I recently did a paper on the History of Photojournalism.

Between the research for the paper and planning for the stories I want to shoot for the class, it was a real eye opener.  Photojournalists are there on the front lines of history and in the trenches human emotion.   To date, I have not had the opportunity to shoot any historical or incredibly touching subjects.   I fear the moment when I will have to choose between shooting the assignment to bring it to the world or putting the camera down and getting involved.  To remain "an observer" in terrible conditions is one of the most difficult decisions imaginable.  You have to be very tough emotionally to watch human suffering, yet not intervene.  And I am quite sure you don't start off that way; it develops over time, chipping away at your child-like optimism, piece by piece.  I would like to think that I would just choose to shoot more light-hearted assignments so I wouldn't have to worry about it, but that would be a copout.  Thank God, there are some brave ones.

SOMEONE has to be there
SOMEONE has to show us
SOMEONE has to inspire people to change the world

And for that, Mr. Photojournalist, I thank you.  You are my hero.


P.S.  Two AWESOME resources I used for the paper were my textbook (which I probably read cover to cover in about a week, who woulda thought a textbook could be such a good read?)  and Daniel Bersak's thesis paper on the History of Ethics in Photojournalism (again, who woulda thought?)

No comments:

Post a Comment